top of page

Beckenham Town vs RPV

30th August 2021. Beckenham Town 3 - 0 RPV.

After a decent run in the league Vale's visit to Beckenham represented something of a sobering wake-up call.

Raynes Park got off to an optimistic start at Eden Park with Louie Downey dragging a good chance wide and a decent shout for a penalty following a late challenge in the Beckenham area being waved away by referee Tolga Inanc. More Vale pressure delivered by Archie Goddard, Josh Ano, Louie Downey, and Toby Munday looked to expose the Beckenham defence but the chances, including a well-executed combination move and a brilliant turn from Downey to play Josh Ano on came to nothing.

A Beckenham chance from a free-kick brought no respite for the home team and the high-pressure Vale tactics seemed to have Beckenham on the back foot and a unconvincing headed clearance from a deflected corner gave Louie Downey another chance to shine with a sweetly struck left-footed shot that was skilfully saved by the Beckenham keeper. Another Downey move was ended by a foul from Beckenham’s Tom O’Connor but the resulting and unseemly scuffle that took place after left both players with a yellow card to add to their day’s woes.

More missed Vale opportunities followed with Josh Ano delivering to Louie Downey – again at the heart of the Vale attack – who could only hit it at the Beckenham keeper and Archie Harland-Goddard’s cross that escaped the finishing touch from Toby Munday. Some decent play from Beckenham with some nice passing and crossed efforts being seen off by Vale with RPV getting some of the softer side of some refereeing decisions.

More excellent play from Louie Downey saw him take on one more chance before half-time only to be stopped by a great piece of defending from Town’s Mudiagha Wanogho and within a few minutes the whistle signalled the interval to a half that remained goalless thanks to Beckenham’s resolute defence.

The second half saw a reinvigorated Town start to take the game to Raynes Park but without getting anything past Billy Bishop in the RPV goal and a chance for Jordan Gallagher looked to put Vale back in control but, again, the move came to naught. A resulting corner saw Danny Alderton’s presence bring some threat to the Beckenham goal and not long after a long-ball attack saw a corner conceded by the Raynes Park defence and deftly taken by Tom O’Connor for Beckenham. A really well-taken header from Town’s Aderonmu found the back of the Vale net and Beckenham were suddenly in the driving seat and, before long, a yellow card to Danny Alderton added to Vales woes.

Again Vale took the game to Town but with more shots delivered safely to the Beckenham keeper it was starting to feel like a bad day at the office for RPV and with Beckenham starting to put more pressure on the Raynes park defence and with the final whistle getting closer another corner became almost a carbon-copy of the earlier with a similar delivery and header seeing Vale concede a second. Josh Gallagher was soon the victim of a shot that he was deemed to have blocked with his hand. The resulting penalty was superbly saved by Vale’s keeper. However the worst was not over with Danny Alderton receiving a second yellow for a foul on Town’s Steve Townsend and Billy Bishop again facing a penalty. This time the keeper’s skills were not enough and, with the last kick of the game, Tyrone Pink put the ball into the roof of the Vale net to end a game that saw Raynes Park dominate for large periods but it was South-East London that took the three points for a prize.


bottom of page