top of page

F.A Vase RPV vs Redhill

1-0 win ensures progression into the F.A Vase First Round

Redhill 0 - 1 RPV

Date: 10th Oct 2020

RPV Starting Line Up

  1. James Smith

  2. Boe Fowler

  3. Nathan Lewis (c)

  4. James Curran

  5. Marcus Dowdeswell

  6. Henri Mkinsi

  7. Darren Thomas

  8. Callum Hope

  9. Faiz Yussuf

  10. Tom Harland-Goddard

  11. Sam Jordan

Subs Used:

Jack Williamson

Danny Alderton

Bertrand Marti-Pique

Raynes Park Vale’s reward for overcoming Rusthall in the first qualifying round of this seasons FA Vase, was an away tie with our CCL Premier friends at Redhill contested on Saturday 10th October. This was Vale’s second trip to Kiln Brow in the past month, after coming away with 3 points just a mere 28 days prior.

First Half

Raynes Park Vale made just the one change from their previous outing, with James Smith making his first appearance of the season in goal at the expense of Dan McKerracher. Playing in their more recognisable blue (away) kit, Raynes Park Vale come flying out the traps and after some good work down the left by Sam Jordan won a corner with less than a minute on the clock. Darren Thomas whipped in a teasing delivery that alluded the outrushing Redhill keeper, the ball bounced around on the edge of the 6-yard box before Nathan Lewis prodded the ball home to give Vale a dream start.

Despite being knocked by the opening goal, it was actually Redhill that started to get a foothold in the early encounters, with their midfield starting to get on the ball and picking out their passes with relative ease. Redhill’s possession nearly earned them an equaliser after a long punt down the pitch was misjudged by the Vale defence, allowing the Redhill forward to go bearing in at goal, only for a last-ditch challenge from Boe Fowler, ensuring RPV conceded nothing but a corner, which was well dealt with.

Redhill continued to have slightly more possession but lacked any real probe into an organised vale backline and RPV were looking increasingly dangerous on the counter, with Sam Jordan causing the Redhill defence real cause for concern every time he got on the ball. With 25 minutes played, Jordan twisted and turned on the edge of the box before digging out a near inch-perfect delivery to the back post, where Darren Thomas was waiting to nod into a half-empty net but for a brilliant bit of defending from the Redhill left-back to head behind at the expense of a corner. Just two minutes later, it was that man Jordan again driving at the retreating Redhill defence, where he danced his way past 3, before seeing his shot from 16-yards saved smartly from the Redhill keeper with a strong right hand.

The next 15 minutes passed without any real threats on either goal, as both teams continued with a back and forth battle largely contested in the middle third of the pitch before a long ball over the top saw the Redhill striker get in down the right before drilling a ball along the ground across Smith’s goal, however, despite being a spectator for much of the half, he remained alert and made an excellent stop, in tricky conditions, to prevent a Redhill equaliser.

Second half

Vale, clearly buoyed by the comments from the management team at half-time, looked to push on in the second half and started the brighter of the two sides. Just 8 minutes into the second half, Redhill’s already tough challenge to get back into the game become even harder after they were reduced to 10-men after the Redhill defender was booked for a foul just outside their box. After not taking to kindly to receiving an initial caution for the challenge, the Redhill number 5 proceeded to have heated words with the referee, which was only going to end one way, a straight Red-card and an early bath. Vale wasted the resulting free-kick after hitting it straight into the midriff of the Redhill wall. With the man advantage, Raynes Park Vale started to gain control of the game, with the vast majority of the second half being played in the Redhill half. Redhill found themselves with an even bigger uphill struggle after 65 minutes when their number 8 found himself in the sin-bin after an exchange with the official on the far side.

With the two-man advantage, RPV looked to the bench and introduced Jack Williamson, who nearly doubled the lead after 70 minutes after getting to the byline, beating two players before seeing the Redhill keeper make an excellent close-range stop.

Despite being back up to 10 men, Redhill still found themselves pinned in and found themselves under an RPV barrage in the final 10 minutes, that saw both James Curran and Tom Harland-Goddard clear the crossbar from, Henri Mkinsi having his shot from 10-yards stopped by the legs of the increasingly busy Redhill goalkeeper and Harland-Goddard doing fantastically well to jink his way into the box, before seeing his initial shot blocked and then his rebound trickling agonisingly to the goal-line before the Redhill defender cleared his lines.

With just injury time to play, Redhill started to look to go direct, but all they found was club captain, Danny Alderton, returning from a lengthy spell on the sideline, winning everything that came his way up until the final whistle

The Vale, who admittedly were not at their best done enough across the 90 minutes to progress to the first round proper of the FA Vase, where they will now face another CCL Premier side, Sheerwater at Grand Drive on Saturday 31st October.

There is lots of action before then, however, starting with a midweek home match in the league this Tuesday (13th October) against Banstead Athletic.

Come down, support the team and enjoy the fantastic food by CateredbyJustin and wash it down with one of our great selections of beers on offer


bottom of page