Raynes Park Vale FC
Tue 13 Feb 2024  ·  South-Central
Raynes Park Vale FC
Raynes Park Vale FC
Vale vs Chipstead

Vale vs Chipstead

K L21 Feb - 14:50
Share via

It was a big game for both sides

Vale were hoping for a win coming off the back of a tough away draw at Northwood and Chipstead were looking for redemption after a 1-0 loss away at Ascot.

A crowd of over 200 gathered on a mild Tuesday evening eager to watch returning player Seanan McKillop make his 33rd appearance for the club. Even former players Cal MacAllister and Ben Dyson (who evidently couldn't stay away from RPV for long) were in attendance and cheering on the home team.

Kick off was prompt at 7.45 and there were early chances for Vale which couldn’t be converted. Danger struck when a good piece of skill in the middle of the pitch from Chipstead midfielder Ndozid, gave the visitors a chance to score. Luckily a fantastic recovery tackle from Harland-Goddard cleared the danger. Minutes later it was danger player Ndozid again who fired a shot towards the top corner which Bridle-Card got a strong hand to before it was cleared away by the defence.

Chipstead then proceeded to take control of the match. A few minutes later, with Vale on a counterattack, Gallagher is slipped through with a goal scoring chance but he just couldn't manage to hit the target. Not long after, Gallagher again had another great chance; this time a long range shot which was pushed away from the bottom left corner. The crowd were getting noisier as they sensed a goal was coming. Two big chances then came along for Vale - a dipping, swerving shot was stopped and a trademark Gallagher cross heading for the back post was hit straight at the keeper by Green.

On the stroke of half hour, with the score line still 0-0, a series of Vale errors led to a cross into the box which was redirected home by the unmarked Iqbal. Frustration rung around the stadium.

Vale bounced back well and in the 42nd a ball was cleared out to Vale centre half Jordan Stepney who smashed it in the top corner to level the scoring. An absolute screamer from 30 yards much to the delight of the crowd. Blue army rung out around the stands (even though Davide wasn’t even there!).

Just before half time, with things going Vale’s way, Harland-Goddard committed a foul, the opposition player’s extreme response however meant this altercation ended up with the referee brandishing him a card.

As the half time whistle went, the players returned to the changing rooms and with the scores level - there everything was to play for in the second half.

The crowd were eagerly awaiting the start of the second half, sensing that Vale were gaining momentum in the match. However nerves were tested as an early corner from Chipstead ended with a looping header off the top of the bar. Seconds later, Chipstead were through again on goal but Moody proved to be the saviour this time with yet another fantastic recovery stopping Chipstead’s attack. As play restarted, Green proceeded to commit his third foul of the match yet was still to receive a card much to the frustration of the Chipstead fans (and delight of the Vale fans).

Both sets of fans could still sense a victory, the atmosphere was tense as both sides found a good tempo. The first change for Vale was made in the 65 min with O'Sullivan leaving the field and Sweeney replacing him. Frustration was growing for Chipstead who kept kicking the balls out of the stadium, proving a challenge for those who were hunting for them in the dark. Vale players kept their cool though and with Dickinson being replaced by the returning Bowers, the home side were getting ‘stuck in’ , competing for every ball and committing to every challenge.

With 80 minutes of normal time played, Green finally ended up in the referee’s book - a fantastic tackle followed by a foul that couldn't be ignored.

Vale continued searching for a winner. Sewell was replaced by former Vale striker Obisanya who ran onto the pitch to rapturous applause and a warm welcome from the Vale faithful.

With time running out, a beautiful pass put Sweeney through onto goal only to be brought down by Chipstead fullback Alfie Young inside the box. A penalty was awarded in the 90th minute.

Vale fans held their breath as Sweeney took the ball, placed it on the spot and then smashed it straight down the middle of the goal.

The crowd went wild, the bench were celebrating and everyone was then focused on securing the much needed 3 points.

Vale hung on for last 3 minutes of added time to secure a very important win which left them in 5th place in the League, just inside the play off places with only 12 games remaining.

Disappointment for all the traveling Chipstead fans, a huge sigh of relief for the Vale fans. A big thank you to everyone who came to support the home team. Up The Vale!

Match stats

Attendance 230

Throw ins 23
Off sides 2
Corners 6
Yellow cards 3

Throw ins 31
Off sides 6
Corners 5
Yellow cards 1

Match Report by Ralph Noble

Match details

Match date

Tue 13 Feb 2024







League position

Raynes Park Vale
Team overview
Further reading